Purchasing a home is one of the most significant investments most people will make. Once you’ve settled into the perfect property, you want to grow or maintain your home’s value as much as possible. Whether you decide to sell your house or enjoy it for the rest of your life, thorough maintenance and repairs will ensure your home always looks as good as the day you bought it.
Garage doors make a considerable impact on your home’s appearance and functionality. Property owners often use them multiple times per day. Since your garage door likely represents a large percentage of your home’s facade, maintenance is essential to keep it looking beautiful and running smoothly.
Replacing your garage door has one of the highest returns on investment compared to other home improvements. In West Michigan, the ROI for a garage door replacement is 94.4%. A brand-new garage door can boost curb appeal, energy efficiency and security around your home. However, you may be able to salvage your existing door to achieve the same benefits with less expensive repairs.
This guide can help you decide the best way to refresh your garage door. Whether you choose to repair or replace, Quality Door Company can help you transform your garage door quickly and affordably to keep your home up to your standards.
Replacing vs. Repairing Your Garage Door
Deciding whether to repair or replace your garage door depends on many variables. Consider the following conditions to help you determine which is the better investment.
1. Does Your Garage Door Have Damage?
If your garage door has damage, the extent of the harm will help you determine whether you should repair it or get a new one.
Minor cosmetic issues like chipped paint or a small scratch are fairly easy to repair. You may be able to repair broken parts like springs instead of getting a new door. For moderate to severe damage that affects the door’s function, you may get more value out of a replacement garage door.
Watch for these signs to determine if your door has severe damage:
- The door makes loud noises.
- A panel is cracked.
- The door opens unevenly.
- There is rust on the door.
- The door gets stuck opening or closing.
- It is harder to lift the garage door than usual.
- A damaged garage door can be unsightly and may not function properly. You rely on your garage door to serve many purposes, so it is critical to have it fixed or replaced as soon as possible. At Quality Door Company, we can provide a free estimate and help you determine if the
- damage is a reason to replace or repair your garage door.
2. Energy Costs of Your Garage Door
A correctly sealed and insulated garage door will help maintain your home’s internal temperature and save money on your energy bills.
If you notice your energy bills are creeping up, your garage door might require some attention. If your weatherstripping is coming off and letting in drafts, a maintenance specialist may be able to reseal it and return it to its original energy efficiency.
An older garage door may not have enough insulation to prevent your heating and cooling from escaping. In that case, you might want to order a replacement with a thick layer of insulation. A new garage door can help your HVAC run less, which will help bring your energy bills back down.
3. Consider the Age of Your Garage Door
A high-quality, correctly installed garage door should last for about 30 years of typical daily use. If it’s possible to keep fixing your vintage garage door, but it’s reaching the end of its lifespan, it may save time and money to replace it instead. Keep track of the most recent installation to help you determine when to repair or replace your garage door. Replacing an old garage door can modernize your home’s aesthetic and include innovative convenience and safety features.
Deciding between a repair or a replacement for your garage door may also depend on cost.
If you lack the budget to replace your garage door, you can make the minimum repairs to keep it working while you save enough for a new one. Quality Door Company has a wide range of beautiful and affordable options.
If it costs more to repair your old door than it would to buy a new one, replacing your garage door is the obvious choice.
Upside to Replacing Your Garage Door
Replacing your garage door is an investment, but it is a worthwhile expense that will benefit your home and family. Here are some of the upsides to replacing an old garage door.
- Appearance: Garage doors take a significant portion of your home’s exterior, and an upgrade will enhance its curb appeal.
- Safety: Modernized garage doors, when combined with a new garage door opener, include safety features like an automatic reversal system that will bring the door back up if it detects a child or pet underneath. Some models also come with more advanced locks and alarms to keep intruders out.
- Function: Old garage doors can malfunction more often, and constantly scheduling repairs can be a headache. A new garage door is reliable and will operate smoothly with minimal maintenance.
- Value: If you choose to sell your home, a new garage door may earn you more money. A replacement is cost-effective, and real estate agents estimate it can boost your home’s perceived selling price by 4%.
- Efficiency: Garage doors protect a large opening between your home and the elements. Winters in West Michigan can be frigid, and a new garage door can help retain heat, so your family stays warm.
Preventive Maintenance of Your Garage Door Is Crucial
Maximize your investment with preventive maintenance that will help your garage door continue to function smoothly. If you can catch minor problems before they grow into costly issues, you can save time and money.
Regularly inspect your garage door to catch worn-out parts before they break and possibly cause further damage. Evaluate cables, pulleys, springs and other mechanisms that open and close the door. If you discover any loose hardware, you can tighten it to make sure everything stays in place. Clean out the tracks and rollers to prevent debris from clogging the door. Add lubrication to avoid friction between parts that can cause elements to wear down.
Your Reliable Garage Door Experts
If you would prefer to leave it to the professionals, you can schedule a visit from our team at Quality Door Company. Our experienced technicians perform installations, repairs and regular maintenance to extend your garage door’s life.
Quality Door Company has excellent products and dependable technicians who provide fast and friendly service. Whether you decide to repair or replace your garage door, we can help get your garage door back up and running to enhance your home and protect your family.
If you live in Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Holland or South Haven, Quality Door Company can help keep your garage door up to standard. Request an estimate or schedule service today!